I'd like to highlight a couple points that I really agree with:
- CPM based advertising is a corrupting agent on the web.
- He shouldn't be the exception with his way of doing business, he should be the rule.
- We need more singular voices like his. (Personally I wish we had more interesting dialogs/monologues in areas outside of tech.)
Some other thoughts:
- I think his kind of thoughtful writing about a subject he cares about, and is knowledgable in, is a very much a kind of American Revolution idea. Example A, Example B
- Because he answers to no one but his readers, he can have an unpopular opinion or two and doesn't need to bend to fit a majority opinion. He can be spiky when he feels the need to be.
- He controls his own destiny in a way not many other writers can claim to.